This week marks the first of many end-of-the-year events with the highly anticipated distribution of the 2012-13 yearbook. Since the late 1970s the “senior page” has been a marker on the path to graduation at Marin Academy. The photos, quotes and illustrations (or lack thereof) are a unique reflection of the page’s designer, their passions, friends, and dreams. We have taken a look back at yearbooks from Marin Academy’s 40 years and bring you 40 quotes from from senior pages. This list will leave you feeling inspired, hopeful and ready to take on the future, if not a little nostalgic! Have a favorite quote? Leave it in the comments below!
2) All good writing is swimming underwater and holding your breath. –F. Scott Fitzgerald
3) You never know when you are making a memory. –Rickie Lee Jones
4) I am so lucky. My friends are my family, and my family are my friends.
5) Open your eyes and look within, are you satisfied with the life you’re living. –Bob Marley
6) Dancing is a gift. You are supposed to do it; it’s like breathing. –Judith Jamison
7) Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius
8) Luck is the residue of design. -Vince Lombardi
9) Peace can start with just one heart. -Holly Near
10) The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or even touched-they must be felt with the heart. -Helen Keller
11) There is a time for departure even when there is no certain place to go. -Robert Frost
12) Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you imagined. –H.D. Thoreau
13) Be yourself…everyone else is taken. -Oscar Wilde
14) The sun will shine. Enjoy it!
15) Common sense ain’t common. –Will Rogers
16) Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. -Steve Jobs
17) The main thing in one’s private world is to laugh as much as you cry. -Maya Angelou
18) Not all who wander are lost. -JR Tolkien
19) Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. –Dr. Seuss
20) A day without laughter is a day wasted. –Charlie Chaplin
21) Hope is a waking dream. –Aristotle
22) Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. -Mahatma Gandhi
23) If we don’t find something pleasant, at least we shall have something new. -Voltaire
24) Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy. -Anne Frank
25) Childhood is short. Maturity is forever. -Calvin and Hobbes
26) Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
27) Life is too important to be taken seriously. -Oscar Wilde
28) We are all born mad. Some remain so. -Samuel Beckett
29) You give little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. -Khalil Gibran
30) Personally I’m always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught. -Winston Churchill
31) To know others is knowledge. To know yourself is enlightenment. -Lao Tzu
32) Time it was, And what a time it was, It was…a time of innocence, a time of confidences. -Simon & Garfunkel
33) There are years from my childhood that I cannot remember and I cannot forget. -Robert Bly
34) Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
35) It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. -Atoine de St. Exupery
36) Some trees grow very tall & straight and large in the forest close to each other, but some must stand by themselves or they won’t grow at all. -Oliver Wendell Holmes
37) The only way to have a friend, is to be one. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
38) We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be. -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
39) Welcome, O life! I go to encounter for the millionth time the reality of experience and to forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race. -James Joyce
40) To all at Marin Academy: Be kind to yourself and others. Remember me with good thoughts as I will remember you. Good luck for now and the future.
The 2012-2013 school year marks 40 years of education at Marin Academy. Throughout the year we are commemorating this anniversary with on-campus events for students, special publications (including this on-going series of “lists of 40″), and a community celebration at Bimbo’s in San Francisco on April 20 (thanks to everyone who joined us for a fun night!).